Thursday, May 9, 2013

EJ7NET (EU-006), my first dxpedition

The hours are counting down to the start of my first ever expedition, to Inis Mór (Inishmore) on the Aran Islands, which begins this weekend. The EJ7NET team, consisting of six EI hams, two from GM and two from HB9, will be on the air for about five days from EU-006. Most of the team arrives on the island tomorrow (Friday), while I will be following on Saturday. It will be a 100 watt, small antenna operation, from the famous islands in Galway Bay. Hopefully, the weather will begin to improve some time between now and then!
Dun Aonghasa overlooking the Atlantic on Inis Mór.

The international team is organised by Declan Craig, EI6FR, who is a long established Irish DXer. We are looking forward to running some nice pile-ups, and of course I will be on hand to photograph, video and document the activation as much as possible in the coming days. So keep an eye on this blog for updates (dependent on mobile phone coverage!)

Many of you will know I have a major interest in ancient Ireland, having written two books on the subject. Having never been to the Aran Islands, I'm looking forward to visiting Dun Aonghasa, an Iron Age stone fort at the edge of the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean on Inis Mór. I may take some time to sample the local beer too HI HI...

Anyway, I hope to hear you in the pile-ups. We are there until next Wednesday, 15th May. If you hear us, don't forget to spot us on the web clusters. Our Islands on the Air (IOTA) reference is EU-006.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Anthony this is such a great opportunity and I hope I not only hear you in there but you hear me!!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will listen out for your call Mike !!! It would be a great pleasure to get you in the log.

      Delete

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.