Tuesday, September 13, 2011

She works! - an old oscilloscope kicks into life


An old CT 436 Oscilloscope by Hartley Electromotives Ltd, recently came into my possession. I had left it in the shack for a few days to make sure it was dry and warm and plugged it in to find it is still working. I believe from reading on the web that these were built for the British Military back in the early 1960s, but maybe earlier. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it to make measurements! It's a beautiful looking machine in my opinion and perhaps those little "moving lights" on the screen will fascinate the kids. I was able to download a manual on the CT 436 so I will digest that and see how I can use it to make a proper measurement. The above video was shot on my Android phone.

I can tell you that after just a few minutes' use, the casing got quite hot on top. Perhaps that's a good thing. The shack can get quite cold in the winter - the oscilloscope will double as a heater! 73 for now.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

  1. Well Anthony the phone takes a good video and great to see that the scope is up and working. I have the Iphone 4 and it also does video and I am looking forward to doing some shack tubes.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.